Anand Bagh Palace (also known as Lakshmivilas Palace) is situated in town of Darbhanga in State of Bihar, India. Anand Bagh Palace was constructed during the reign of Maharaja Lakshmeshwar Singh in the 1880s. Anand Bagh Palace was severely damaged during earthquake of 1934 and was rebuilt thereafter.
Anand Bagh Palace was donated to Government of Bihar by Maharaja Kameshwar Singh for starting a University for promotion of Sanskrit language. Currently, this palace is the head office of Maharaja Kameshwar Singh Sanskrit University.
Anand Bagh Palace was well known for its beautiful gardens surrounding it that have now sadly disappeared due to government’s apathy to maintain it. Roper Lethbridge mentions about the about Lakshmivilas Palace as under: “The new Palace at Darbhanga, with its immense stables, its botanical and zoological gardens, and its many beautiful surroundings, is well known in England by the sketches that have appeared in the London illustrated papers.” The garden surrounding the Palace had several rare species of plants such as Branched palm having over 8 branches, Rudraksha, Sandalwood, Mahogany, etc. as well as many species of orchids were planted around the Palace.
The garden was laid out on the extensice grounds of the Palace by Charles Maries, who was recommended by Sir Joseph Hooker to Maharaja Lakshmeshwar Singh for the post of Superintendent of the gardens of the Raj Darbhanga.